Drinkwater & Schriver Mill at Cedar Point
The mill, which is also called the Cedar Point Mill, is owned by Drinkwater & Schriver Mill Inc., a Kansas non-profit corporation dedicated to saving the mill and maintaining it as an historic site, celebrating this exceptional 1875 Chase County, Kansas grist mill.
Cedar Point, KS
The Drinkwater & Schriver Flour Mill on the Cottonwood River in Cedar Point, Kansas operated for about 100 years. The grist mill produced flour for both the local area and eastern bakeries. It was started as a saw mill built by Cedar Point Postmaster, O.H. Drinkwater in 1867. With the assistance of Peter Paul Schriver, the original wooden sawmill and dam were replaced by these stone structures in 1875.
The mill sold flour until 1941 when the machinery was converted to grinding cattle feed. The Drinkwater & Schriver mill ground feed into the 1960s, but has been unused since that time. The mill was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2007.
Things are looking up for the Drinkwater & Schriver Flour Mill. Restoration was started in April 2015 by Leawood developer Dan Clothier, who previously renovated the Boathouse in Wichita and restored the Freight House in the Kansas City, Missouri Crossroads Arts District. The granary which was long attached to the south side of the mill has been removed and the plan is to to restore the mill to the way it looked and functioned in 1875.
Donations from individuals and organizations are tax deductible, as Drinkwater & Schriver Mill Inc. (the Company”) has been approved by the Internal Revenue Service as a 501c.3 entity.
Donations may be made by check or money order made payable to Drinkwater & Schriver Mill Inc. and mailed to Barry Linnens, Cottonwod Valley Bank, Cedar Point, Kansas 66843.